Valentine's Day Shopping Made Easy
GEDA has partnered with ECS Promotions to bring you an exciting new feature - the GEDA Apparel Site. Now you can order all of those hats, shirts and bags with GEDA logos. There is no better Valentine's Day gift for your boo than something from the GEDA Store.
Blankets, t-shirts, towels, robes, fleece, jackets, briefcases, coolers, backpacks, scarves,
GEDA Descends on St Simons Island, May 18-20
GEDA is very excited to take our Spring Workshop to the Sea Palms Resort on St. Simons Island. The Conference runs from May 18-20, 2011 (but you can certainly come down on Tuesday the 17th!)
To make sure you're in our room block and get our negotiated rate, use the Group Code "Economic" when making your reservation. The BEST way to reserve your room is by going to Sea Palms and clicking on the RESERVATIONS tab. Make sure to enter the word "Economic" in the Group Code box (not Promo/Corporate Code) and you'll get our rates. Or, you can call 800.841.6268 and still use "Economic" as the group code.
Don't delay - make that reservation today!
TAG is accepting applications for the award
The Technology Association of Georgia (TAG) is encouraging companies across the state to apply for the Top 40 Innovative Companies in Georgia Award.
Recipients will receive special recognition at the Georgia Technology Summit on March 23rd, along with a host of other benefits:
- Recognition in the Summit program
- Invitation to special receptions
- Great media exposure and more!
Click on the link above to apply for one of your local companies. For more information contact Denniz Zakas, Barbara Martin or Melanie Brandt.
We have been leaking information for months about the new www.geda.org. And now it's finally here!! Hopefully many of you have had the chance to see the updates that we have for you. If you have not had a chance to log in to the site in the past two weeks, you will need to go in and change your passwords. Yes - in order to make this transition - we had to change everyone's password. Your username has NOT changed. Your password was changed back to GEDA (case-sensitive.) You will be prompted to change that password to something else the first time you log in. Please make sure to keep this password in a safe place so that you can continue to log in. (Hint - some of our new features require members-only access. It's super-secret James Bond sorta stuff!) Everyone should have received two emails in the past two weeks outlining information about how to log in. If you did not receive these emails, please contact us at 404-962-4110.
Here are some features of the new Member Portal Page. This has a great deal of vital information for you and many of the areas of the site that you typically view first anyway.
- About You: includes your membership status, links to update your profile & change your password, etc.
- News: Any news items that we add will be shown here. We'll place timely, relevent items for easy access.
- Upcoming Events: This will display the next FIVE (5) GEDA events. Those available for registration will have the word "Register" out to the right. SUPER BIG NEW FEATURE - if you have already registered for the event, it will say "You are registered." Now you can always know whether or not you've already taken care of it!!
- Committees: This shows hyperlinks to any Committees you're currently participating on. Click on the linkc for a list of the Committee Members. If you are not currently on any Committees, click here for an easy way to join!
- Directories: we have added Directories that are specifically tailored for YOU! You should see three links here: Active members (our membership directory), Members in My County (will open an Excel Spreadsheet with all members in YOUR county) and Region __ Members. This is a list of all members in your region.
- Invoices and Receipts: This section shows any open invoices that we have for you. Or, if you have made recent payments, you can find receipts here! Please keep in mind that we are still populating this area and may not have all membership dues invoices in here yet.
Registration is Now Available
GEDA has finalized plans for the first two luncheons of 2011.
- Monday, February 21, 2011 - GEDA welcomes Georgia Chamber of Commerce President & CEO to the luncheon. The program will be held at the Georgia Tech Hotel & Conference Center. Registration is now open! Early bird deadline is THIS FRIDAY the 11th. Register now to save $5.
- Monday, March 21, 2011 - GEDA will welcome Governor Nathan Deal to our program at the Hotel Palomar. Registration will be available very soon. Space will be limited, so make sure to registration early to ensure your spot.
We are VERY pleased to announce that our Sponsorship Committee, chaired by RIcky McGee, has been able to secure a sponsor for both events - and it's the same company!!! The Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce will sponsor both the February and March programs! Huge thank you to Hans Gant and the entire team at the Metro Atlanta Chamber!
Here is our fourth weekly Legislative Update from Jim Finch regarding the happenings under the Gold Dome. Please remember that if you have particular thoughts, concerns, comments, opinions on any of the bills or resolutsions mentioned in these updates, it is very important to call your Senators and Representatives to let them know how you feel.
As always, you can see all of our updates for 2011 by logging on and going to the Public Policy Committee documents page.
And, for a refresher course on GEDA's Public Policy Agenda for 2011, please refer to our Public Policy Committee Page.
2011 Events Calendar
February 21 Luncheon at Georgia Tech Hotel. Chris Clark speaking.
March 21 Luncheon at Hotel Palomar. Governor Nathan Deal speaking.
Welcome New Members
Emily Boness, UGA Fanning Institute
Robert Crowe, Elkins Constructors
Danielle Fernandes, Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
Kevin Gullette, Clayton County Office of Economic Development
Melissa Hamby, Fannin County Board of Commissioners
David Keating, Camden County Joint Development Authority
Shannon Nettles, Camden County Joint Development Authority
Paige Shiver, Mitchell County Development Authority
Tom Turner, Meriwether County Development Authority
GEDA Legislative Day a HUGE Success!
January 26 was Economic Development Day in Georgia
GEDA representatives and their guests had a great day at the Capitol on January 26th for GEDA Legislative Day. After a photo with Governor Deal and lots of interaction with elected officials (including Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle and Secretary of State Brian Kemp), we hosted over 60 Legislators, not including their staff and guests! That was a fantastic turnout and significantly higher than what we have seen in recent years with our evening reception. Thank you to everyone who braved the cold and wind to come to Atlanta and help share our message with the Legislators. We observed many more meaningful conversations about real issues this year, which means now is the time to follow up on that and encourage our elected officials to
We have money and we'd like to give it away!
GEDA has over $10,000 in scholarship money to give this year. In answer to your question, YES! You are eligible. If you are a dues paying member of GEDA, you qualify! It cannot hurt to apply, so send us an application today!
All of the forms can be found on the Professional Development Committee Page. We offer scholarships for:
- Georgia Tech Basic Economic Development Course (3/29 - 4/1)
- IEDC Courses - throughout the year
- EDFP Training - throughout the year
- CEcD Exam
- GEDA Spring Workshop (May 18-20)
- GEDA Annual Conference (September 21-23)
- International Trade Missions