Got Your Attention?
It's not a trick. We ARE going to give away a $1,000 cash prize at Annual Conference in September to one of our members. We know that our best marketing device is YOU! Word of mouth is the way that so many people come to know GEDA. So, we are asking you to help us find new members. Is there someone new to the state or profession who needs to join? Encourage them! Is there someone who has been thinking about it, but hasn't yet decided? You can persuade them.
The GEDA member who successfully recruits the most new members from NOW until August 31, 2012 will be awarded a $1,000 cash prize at Annual Conference. It's just that simple! All you need to do is to ask the new "recruit" to put your name in the "Referred by:" slot on the membership application. We'll take care of the rest. Now, get out there and EARN that prize!!
Our Biggest Public Policy Team Ever!
In an effort to bring you the best information, the quickest updates and the finest legislative monitoring, GEDA will increase its presence at the Capitol in 2012. Your Board of Directors has voted to renew the contract with Mr. Jim Finch to continue the fantastic work he did in 2011. Jim was recognized by many legislators as the "go-to guy" when they had questions about legislation of interest to GEDA members, and we look forward to continuing that relationship.
As an added bonus, GEDA has also entered into a partnership with the Georgia Chamber of Commerce. We all know of the tremendous power of the Georgia Chamber. Chris Clark has pledged their support during the legislative session as well. Now, when you get regular updates from GEDA during the session, it will be from the Georgia Chamber and Jim FInch - bringing you the best possible coverage of all things under the Dome! Start looking for updates in January.
GEDA Offices will be closed on Friday, December 23rd and Monday, December 26th in observance of the Christmas holidays.
The year is winding down to a close, and that means it's time for you to prepare for the 2012 Legisative Session. Here is your to-do list ...
1. Contact your local elected officials and invite them to the GEDA Legislative Luncheon. (January 25, 2012. Drop in, drop out from 11:30 until 1:30. Legislators eat free!!)
2. Tell your local elected officials how much you appreciate their time and that you are there to answer questions about legislation that affect economic development.
3. Make your plans to be in Atlanta for the Legislative Luncheon. REGISTER TODAY!!!
4. Invite your Board of Directors to join you at the luncheon.
5. Have a wonderful holiday season, and dream of a successful legislative session.
THANK YOU to the Dalton-Whitfield Joint Development Authority for sponsoring!
The Georgia Department of Economic Development has announced a number of promotions and staff changes within the Global Commerce Team, effective immediately.
- Tom Croteau will serve as Division Director for Projects. Croteau was formerly director of the Logistics, Energy, Agribusiness and Food Processing (LEAF) team.
- Scott McMurray was promoted from Senior Project Manager of the LEAF team to its director.
- Blair Lewis was promoted from Senior Project Manager, Corporate Solutions to the director of the Corporate Solutions team.
- Danetha Belk has been named Manager of Performance Measures and Training for the Global Commerce division.
- Joining the Aerospace, Defense and Advanced Manufacturing Team as Project Manager is Wylly Harrison.
- Darlene Smith adds Executive Assistant to GDEcD’s Chief Operating Officer to her current duties as Executive Assistant to the Deputy Commissioner for Global Commerce.
Effective Jan. 1,
- Jennifer Nelson will move from deputy director to director of the Existing Industry & Regional Representative team when current director Dara Barwick retires after 25 years serving the State of Georgia.
- Mark Lytle, formerly director of GDEcD’s Foreign Direct Investment team, will become director of the Georgia Centers of Innovation.
- Jim Blair, formerly manager of Georgia’s office in Belgium and a Senior Project Manager on the FDI team, will become director of the Foreign Direct Investment team.
GEDA has barely even announced sponsorship availability for 2012, and yet we're running out of opportunities already!! As of right now, both Platinum sponsorship spots for Spring Workshop have sold, one of the two Platinums for Annual Conference is gone, the Legislative Luncheon has been taken; 4 monthly luncheons are covered and our newest opportunity - the mobile apps for the two conferences ... both gone.
Rest assured - there is still room for you. We still have three luncheons that need a sponsor, one more platinum and then everything else is open. Gold, Silver, Bronze, golf tournaments, entertainment sponsors, beverage breaks ... act now before everything is gone! GEDA cherishes our valued sponsors and the generous support thy give us.
If you have any questions about sponsorship opportunities, you can contact the GEDA Offices or Sponsorship Committee chair Brian Dill.
THANK YOU TO ALL OF
OUR MEMBERS FOR A
WONDERFUL 2011. WE
LOOK FORWARD TO EVEN
BETTER THINGS IN 2012.
2012 Legislative Luncheon: Wednesday, January 25. Empire Room at the Sloppy Floyd Buildings. Invite your board members and elected officials.
February 20, 2012 - Monthly Luncheon. Details TBC
March 19, 2012 - Monthly Luncheon. Details TBC.
Georgia Trend Article
Did You See It?
Thanks to the fantastic work of Andrea Schruijer and the Special Service Awards Committee, GEDA as able to get TOP-NOTCH coverage of our Deal of the Year Award winners! The December issue of Georgia Trend Magazine has a great article about our winners. (Article starts on page 97.) Thank you Andrea, committee and Georgia Trend Magazine!)
Also, Georgia Trend will begin an Economic Development news column in 2012. Any location, expansion, development, etc. announcements can be sent to them.
Smart Grid Tour
After that November luncheon all about the Smart Grid, I know you're like me and you're ready to go tour the GE Grid IQ Experience Center. GEDA will be arranging tours of the facility in the early part of 2012. Let us know how many people interested and we can arrange the tours.
TO learn more about the facility, you can read about it here.
GEDA Ambassador Program
The GEDA Membership Services Committee is starting a brand new program designed to help new GEDA members get acclimated into our group.
Do you remember your first GEDA meeting? It is likely that your story is like so many of ours ... you didn't know many people. You walk into the group of a few hundred people who are acting like they're seeing long lost cousins. It can be very intimidating. Wouldn't it have been nice to have someone guide you through that maze?
Enter the GEDA Ambassadors, a new program from the Membership Services Committee. WE NEED YOUR HELP! Volunteer to be a GEDA Ambassador and you can help those new mambers understand GEDA events and help them meet their new colleagues. Contact GEDA if you're interested in helping out.