Professional Development Committee
At a glance:
- Promote and support the practice of professional development – that is, the advancement of skills, expertise, and knowledge to succeed in the economic development profession.
- Facilitate support for GEDA members preparing for professional certification.
- Promote and administer the GEDA professional development grant program.
A key part of GEDA’s mission is to support the continual professional development of our members. One of the key ways we do this is through our professional development grant program which involves an annual competitive application process coordinated by this committee. GEDA’s professional development grant program is the largest of its kind among state associations.
Are you working to gain the skills and knowledge to be among the best in the economic development profession in serving those you serve? Apply for a grant from GEDA to help you move forward in your professional development journey and meet your goals!
This committee also connects GEDA members with opportunities to help them prepare for professional certifications such as the Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) designation by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC).
For more information, contact Committee Chair Scott Poag.
2017 Action Plan
Goal 1: Promote GEDA professional development grant program.
- Reminders at monthly meetings
- Deadlines in Newsletters
- Promote opportunities and recipients on social media
- Include in new member orientation
- Update webpage
- Include links to eligible courses
Goal 2: Administer GEDA professional development grant program
- Evaluate current scholarships and explore reallocation
- Wordsmith current application criteria
- Highlight contact person
- Develop committee
Goal 3: Promote and support the practice of economic development certification
Allocate two scholarships or monetary equivalent of two IEDC scholarships for Georgia Certified Economic Developer programs.