At a glance:
- Identifies & promotes effective local existing industry services, retention & expansion programs and best practices.
- Serves economic developers with an interest and/or expertise in export & trade issues.
- Helps to identify, analyze and interpret trade issues and resources.
- Provides professional development opportunities for GEDA member practitioners seeking to establish or expand export assistance program.
The Business Expansion & Retention Committee was formed from the merger of the “Existing Industry” and “Trade Development” committees. The primary focus of this committee is to identify & promote effective local existing industry services, retention & expansion programs and best practices. Several detailed examples have been assembled in cooperation with the Georgia Tech Center for Economic Development Services, and may be accessed through www.geda.org or the Georgia Tech CEDS website. In addition, The Business Expansion & Retention Committee will now also serve economic developers with an interest and/or expertise in export & trade issues, help to identify, analyze, and interpret trade issues and resources, and provide professional development opportunities for GEDA member practitioners seeking to establish or expand export assistance programs.
Many years ago, to help bring attention to the importance of existing businesses, GEDA started its Existing Industry Awards program, recognizing exemplary existing industry from each economic development region of Georgia, statewide winners in large & small company categories, the "Spirit of Georgia" Award for individual performance, and a Community Award for Service to Existing Industry. The traditional GEDA awards program was discontinued after 2001; GEDA is evaluating potential new opportunities to partner with other organizations to recognize existing industry.
For more information, contact Committee Chair, Brian Sillitto.
2018 Action Plan
- Promote Manufacturing Appreciation Week and National Manufacturing Day – April 9-12, 2018
- In conjunction with Business Recruitment Committee, hold two sessions focusing on Workforce and Georgia assets
- Hold two committee meetings to share information critical BRE programs
- Promote best practices to help develop and grow a BRE program